Friday, May 3, 2013

Finally Friday

Family, Storms and Popcorn

Fridays were once the day of the week you anticipated.  It was going out, staying up later, meeting friends.  When did that stop?  A decade ago?  More?  I seem to have lost track of time.  I still anticipate the weekend, but it generally involves jammies and a movie.

One thing I look forward to tonight is watching the Blackhawks in the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs.  Pop a few snacks into the oven, wash it down with a beverage, heck, I may even wear my Hossa jersey to help cheer them on.

While I wait, I will share with you my reflections.  As I watched the rainy, gray sky today, I thought of stormy days as a child.  Sometimes the storms knocked out power and families were forced to wait in the dark until the utility company could get electricity restored.  Not my family.  If the rain stopped, my parents would get out the camping stove and Coleman lantern.  My brother and I watched the wick slowly glow brighter and brighter, illuminating the backyard.  Dad would make popcorn on the little stove and my mouth watered in anticipation as each kernel exploded, emitting its tantalizing aroma into the night sky.

While many people I know are scared of storms, the sound of thunder working its way closer and closer followed by lightening stretching across the sky like slender fingers gives me comfort.  I like to look at life in the same way by associating good things in bad situations.

I hear the game starting so must sign off, but I hope each of you discovers what gives you comfort during the storms of your life.  Have a happy Friday and a wonderful weekend!




1 comment: